Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Wheat Free
- 4 squash (acorn or carnival)
- 1 cup minced shallots (about 3-4 large shallots)
- 4 cups chopped apples (about 3 medium-sized apples)
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, plus extra to oil baking sheets
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut squash in half and remove seeds. Lightly oil casserole dishes or rimmed baking sheets. Place the squash cut side down in the dishes. Roast for 30-40 minutes until squash look softened and are starting to brown around the edges.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the shallots until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the apples and cranberries. Season with sage, salt, and pepper. Saute until apples and cranberries are just starting to soften, another 3 to 5 minutes. Some of the cranberries may pop open. Stir in the pecans and remove from heat.
- Once the squash have softened, remove from the oven and stuff with the apple and cranberry mix.
- Return the stuffed squash to the oven for another 20-30 minutes, until heated through and the stuffing is beginning to brown around the edges.
- Remove and serve.