Black Bean Chili with Penne Pasta ( Vegetarian )
- 12 ounces dry whole grain penne pasta, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (15 oz each) Black Beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz each) Tomato Sauce
- 1 can (14.5 oz each) Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until onion is lightly browned, stirring several times.
- Add celery, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper and garlic to saucepan; cook 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add beans, tomato sauce, undrained tomatoes, cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper; simmer 20 minutes to blend flavors.
- Add reserved pasta to chili; stir to combine.