Total time: 35 minutes
These make a generous size muffin. You also can make them in a mini muffin pan.
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup raw or regular sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
1/3 cup chia seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in the eggs, yogurt and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, chia seeds, salt and baking soda.
Slowly add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and blend until just combined. Do not over-mix.
Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full of batter.
Sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar if using. Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool slightly before removing from the tin.
2 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
7 Good Reasons To Start Eating Chia Seeds
- Help weight loss. Chia seeds are popular for weight loss. They reduce food cravings by preventing some of the food that you eat from getting absorbed into your system. This blockage of calorie absorption makes them a great diet helper.
- Feel fuller faster: They can also help your diet by making you feel full. This is because they absorb 10 times their weight in water, forming a bulky gel.
- Hydration for athletes: They are also great for athletes because the “chia gel” can hydrate the body.
- Reduce your blood pressure: There’s evidence to suggest they can reduce blood pressure.
- Omega-3: They are the richest plant source of Omega-3 (the vital fats that protect against inflammation—such as arthritis—and heart disease). In fact, they contain more Omega-3 than salmon!
- Benefits for diabetes: Because chia seeds slow down how fast our bodies convert carbohydrates into simple sugars, studies indicate they can control blood sugar. This leads scientists to believe chia seeds may have great benefits for diabetics.
- They are easier to digest than flax seeds, and don’t need to be ground up.