- For the filling
- 60g/2oz basmati rice, cooked according to the packet instructions
- pinch turmeric
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 600g/1lb 5oz brown cap mushrooms, sliced
- 50g/2oz butter, melted
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries
- 2 free-range eggs, hard-boiled, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the pastry
- 250g/9oz ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- vegetarian gravy, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Combine the cooked rice, turmeric and lemon zest and set aside, covered, in the refrigerator.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat, add the onion and mushroom and fry for 3-4 minutes, or until softened. Set aside to cool.
- Stir in the cooked rice, herbs, cranberries and hard-boiled eggs until well combined. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- For the pastry, cut a 40cm x 20cm/15in x 8in rectangle from the puff pastry.
- Spoon the rice mixture down the centre of the pastry. Bring the sides of the pastry together and seal. Brush all over with beaten egg and chill for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the pastry parcel with sesame seeds and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until crisp and golden-brown.
- To serve, place one slice of the Wellington onto each of six serving plates. Pour over vegetarian gravy.