- 2 ¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 2 T ice water
- 1 ½ tsp vinegar
- 3 T canola oil, divided
- ½ small onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 2 T whole wheat flour
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1 cup grated reduced fat cheese ( you can used a Mexican blend )
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Small bowl
- 1 egg
- 2 T water
- . Start by making the Spinach Appetizer dough. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the oil, egg, water and vinegar. Slowly, add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing gently until incorporated. Incorporate using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until mix starts to looks a little shaggy. Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead until smooth. Roll into a ball, slightly flatten using the palm of your hand. It should look like a thick disc. Wrap this in plastic and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- . Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- . Prepare the filling. In a medium saucepan, over medium heat sauté the onion and garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach, stir to combine and cook until leaves are wilted, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, set aside and allow to cool.
- . Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat the canola oil and add the flour. Stir constantly to combine and cook for about 3 minutes until a paste forms. Remove from heat and slowly add the milk, whisking until smooth. Place over heat again until the sauce becomes velvety and creamy. Add the cheese and blend until fully melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- . Give the spinach mixture a rough chop, then add it to the cheese sauce and blend. Set aside.
- . Now you’re ready to assemble the Spinach Appetizer. Cut the refrigerated dough in half. On a well-floured surface, using a rolling pin roll the dough until it’s about ¼-inch thick. Cut the dough into 5- inch rounds using a large cookie cutter or bowl. If you have extra scraps, knead them into a ball, and allow to rest for a few minutes while you roll out the other half of dough. Incorporate the scraps from the second half of the dough with those from the first. Roll out again and cut out the rounds. You should end up with 10 to 12 rounds.
- . Place about 1 tablespoon of filling in the middle of each dough round. Dip your finger in the water bowl then run it along the edges of circle. This will help seal the dough. Fold the round in half over the filling, and press down on edges. With the tines of a fork, press down on the edges again.
- . Place the Spinach Appetizer on a rack on a rimmed baking sheet. Lightly beat 1 egg with the 2 T of water to make an egg-wash. Gently brush the wash over the Spinach Appetizer . Bake the Spinach Appetizer for 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- . Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy 🙂